Can You Follow Instructions? - See The Manual
Can you Read an Instruction Book?
How are you at assembling furniture?
For myself - Once I know what I'm doing, I can
do it quite fast.
But how are you, at following instructions?
Have you ever had to assemble some furniture with lots and lots of different parts?
Lots of components. Different lengths and gauges of screws and bolts.
Spring washers and flat washers. Some dowels
and lugs. I had this experience recently.
The first thing the instructions say is, make sure you have everything you'll need. Sort the items.
Then - read the booklet from start to finish.
So that you understand the steps and what each
stage should look like.
If you had a set of instructions that said - ‘neglect to follow this to the letter and you'll fail’, but on the flip side said - ‘if you follow these instructions exactly, you'll have success’,.... Would you just flip through it or glance at them while you were watching your favorite show on TV?
Or would you find a quiet spot, read the
instruction book from cover to cover, to get the overall concepts, and then
once you understand them, go back to the start and read from the beginning
again slowly?!!
It wouldn't be wise to just flip through it
and say, - ‘That's OK. I'm just going to wing it from here’.
No. You wouldn't say that. You want to succeed.
You would read and follow carefully, every little instruction, taking note of every detail
My Experience
When we moved into our last house, we bought a
new bed.
Now we had just moved house that day - it was late - all I wanted was a shower and bed.
So, I glanced over the instructions.
You know what's coming don't you!!??
I missed a step.
I got to the end. The bed looked fine - it wasn't tilted one way. It would have coped just as it was,...BUT…. I had one crucial bolt left over at the end. Which was to lock in a support piece right in the middle of the bed.
So,...already tired and frustrated, I had to
back track. Disassemble some bits, (about half of it), trace my steps back, and
find the step in the instructions where the bolt was inserted. And then redo
all the other steps.
(Do you think I was popular with ‘she who must
be obeyed’?)
Because I didn't follow the instructions to
the letter. I made what was an already taxing day, an even longer and more frustrating
day.
To succeed in life, we need to read and follow
the instructions - to the letter. And yet God’s instructions are not more than
we can cope with. (1 John 5:3) Not harder than we can manage
It does take discipline however, and we can't
succeed by just glancing at the instructions occasionally.
If we follow the Bible's morals and principles
and commandments, we do live a happier life.
We can just glance at some aspects, with the
idea that ‘we’ve got it all sorted - we’ll be fine with what we know’, But the
fact is - Man cannot successfully find his own way without guidance from above
(Jeremiah 10:23)
So, if we want our lives to run more smoothly,
and we don't want to be disassembling furniture all the time, so to speak - to
correct our own mistakes - which only makes life even harder to cope with, then
the best thing we can do, is to find a quiet spot without distractions, and
read the instruction book with deep concentration. And then refer to the
instructions often as we assemble our furniture. To check that we are doing it
all correctly and that it looks as it should do, up to this point.
We all have the same goal. To reach the end
with our furniture intact and looking like the instructions stated.
Some of our pieces of furniture look different
to other people's furniture. But if we all assemble our own furniture correctly
then we’ll all enjoy a nicely furnished home at the end of it.
Until next time - Have a great day and make
every meeting special.
Fletch is an entrepreneur who has worked and trained in business and customer service for more than 30 years. He enjoys writing and delivering training on business relations and good customer service.
He
always enjoys a good cup of coffee with friends.


Comments
Post a Comment